Dietary demons sometimes come in pairs. Lianne Chalmers from Facebook group Double Whammy has extra considerations when buying food and planning meals being both Coeliac and Diabetic. She has kindly submitted this recipe for a tasty chorizo soup.
Her page is well worth a visit even if you’re not striving to maintain a family diet that is gluten free, low sugar and low GI (Glycaemic Index – a measure of how quickly the digested carbohydrates and sugars in a food hit the blood stream).
Lianne’s Chorizo Soup is a great one to try out when the evenings start to draw in and the summer sun is a distant memory. Quick and easy to prepare and a great store cupboard standby, you can be sitting down enjoying it within half an hour of starting to cook.
Double Whammy - Diabetes and Coeliac
- Heat oil in a big based pan on a medium heat
- Add onion and cook for a 2-3 minutes
- Add the chorizo and let cook for about 3 to 5 minutes
- Add chilli
- Add courgettes and cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add Paprika
- Stir well to mix
- Add tinned tomatoes, followed by the stock according to the thickness you want. (You can always add more later on.)
- Bring it all to the boil, add the beans and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add more stock if you want to.
- SERVE - can be garnished with fresh coriander or Basil