Makes 6 medium size (3 ins, 7.5 cm) or 10 smaller (2 ins, 5 cm) diameter.
Preheat oven to 220 C, GM 7, 425F.
1. Rinse cherries in a sieve with boiled water to remove syrup and drain well. Slice into two or three slices.
2. Sieve flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and add the margarine.
3. Gently and quickly rub the margarine into the flour mix until no lumps remain.
4. Add the sugar and the drained cherries and mix well to evenly distribute them.
5. Add the yogurt and mix with a fork but finish with your hands, adding a little more yogurt if required. The consistency should be soft but easy to gently gather together into a ball and lightly knead without it crumbling.
6. Transfer to a floured (GF of course) board and roll or flatten out until at least 1 inch or 2.5 cm thick. Cut into rounds using a metal cutter dipped in flour. Transfer to a lightly greased baking tray. Brush with dairy free milk. Bake for 12 – 15 mins depending on the size of cutter.
7. Serve slightly warm with dairy free margarine or a dairy free cream ‘cheese’. For an added treat, top with cherry conserve.